The new horror novel 'Forest of Amber' by Scott Johnson



The latest novel from Scott Johnson is out now, just in time for Christmas! Forest of Amber is Scott's fourth book.

What's the new novel about?

'It's a horror novel that's grounded in folklore. It's a dark psychological chiller. A couple are trying to save their relationship by going on a camping break. Things don't turn out as they'd hoped. It's an examination of human traits; the two main characters have characteristics and faults that we all have, they're troubled, they're angry, they're surviving day-to-day. It also suggests that there's no such thing as wholly good and bad, we're all a mix of good and evil. It's all a matter of perspective. One of the underlying themes that runs though the story is religion and sin. What is it? What do we do with it? Do we all carry sin and guilt irrespective of a religion or is it purely a man-made concept? The novel is an allegory for sin, punishment and forgiveness.'
Amber’s life is a dark and lonely place. Feeling isolated and struggling with grief and depression, she begrudgingly agrees to a weekend away with her unsympathetic boyfriend Gabriel and their dog Willow. 

In the fading light and torrential rain they soon become lost as they search for the remote campsite. Trekking through the ancient forest on foot, Amber is soon convinced they are not alone. 

Filled with fear and paranoia, her world slowly starts to fall apart and descends into chaos. As the past, present and future collide, the line between fantasy and reality soon becomes blurred. 

For Amber, her nightmare has only just begun. Hidden deep beneath the lies and nightmares, pieces of the puzzle slowly start to fall into place. The truth about her life will soon be revealed and the true horror unearthed.

Your previous novels were thrillers set in the Victorian period. Why the change?

'After The Wolf Hound and the Raven trilogy I wanted to try something else. As a writer I've got so many ideas in my head. I don't believe in sticking to one genre. My books have always crossed genres. The Wolf Hound and the Raven was an historical novel, a thriller, with action, romance, politics, war and elements of fantasy. I like books that aren't conventional, that don't stick to one theme. They're like ingredients for a cake, you can add as much of one thing as you want and a little less of something else. Trying different things interests me. I've always loved horror, sci-fi and fantasy. It's what I grew up on. So long as the stories are grounded in realism, I think that's the key to making them work. They have to be believable. As an author I don't want to become pigeon-holed.'

What are the influences for the new book?

'I write as if the book is a movie. My style is quite cinematic. I think you can see elements inspired by a number of classic films but it's completely unique. If you go into any forest, especially at night, you'll relate to this book. We all carry that fear with us. I wanted to tap into it, tap into the primal instincts that drive us and hold us back. Above all I want to keep readers guessing. What's going on? Is this real? What would I do if it happened to me? It's quite a personal book too.'

What's it like writing a novel?

'Writing is exhausting! It's a lot of hard work. It's demanding, frustrating and rewarding all at the same time. You go through every emotion. There are times you love it and times that you hate it, like doing anything. It can get frustrating when you get writer's block or you hit a dead end. You simple scrap it, unpick and go back. I'm very critical of my work, which can be a challenge. Those are tough days. It's so rewarding when it's finally out and you can share it with the world. I've had lots of positive feedback so far which makes it all worth it.'

What's next?

'My time is split between writing and designing. They're both things I enjoy, so I won't be giving up designing right now. I work with some great people too. I've got a couple of ideas for a new book. What I might do is combine the horror and historical genres, something Victorian-Gothic.'


Forest of Amber is available in paperback from Amazon and in digital format from Apple, Barnes and Noble, Kindle and Kobo. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nissan Cube – thinking outside the box

Lenovo's new racy Ducati laptop